Skip to main content

NYC Radio: Joe Nolan Exiting Scott Shannon Show

Scott Shannon with John Elliott, Patty Steele and Joe Nolan
WCBS 101.1 FM morning host Scott Shannon has announced that veteran NYC Traffic reporter/personality Joe Nolan is leaving the show. His last day is Friday, April 7.

The reason is strictly business.

Nolan doesn't work for WCBS-FM, he's employed with iHeartMedia's Total Traffic and Weather Network.  CBS has ended its business relationship with Total Traffic and has partnered with Radiant Traffic for future reports.

The new business relationship means Nolan and several other well-known voices will no longer be heard on CBS stations, such as WINS 1010 AM , Newsradio WCBS 880 AM, Sports WFAN 660 AM /101.9 FM, Top40 WBMP AMP 92.3 FM and HotAC WNEW 102.7 Fresh-FM.  The change also impacts CBS stations across the country.

In a Facebook post Thursday, Nolan stated, the good news is he is still employed.  However, his reports will be heard on different station, yet to be announced.


According to Nolan, "I have come to be very close with the people I work with. Much closer than ever before. We truly are very good friends and I consider all of them my “other” family. Everything that I have achieved in my career is because of Scott Shannon. I have been with him for just about 25 years (My son Conor’s whole life). We have had ups and downs but working with Scott everyday has made me the broadcaster I am today. I learn something just about every day from him. There is a reason he is in just about every hall of fame there is. He is a giant!!!

"Patty and Brad are smart, funny and just wonderful incredible family people. I am honored to call them friends and I truly love both of them. I have no idea some days how Patty does it. She is an incredible woman, professional news caster and most importantly a mom. Day to day, I will miss her more then I probably know. She is as close to a sister as I have. Brad has been my running partner for years. Like J.B.J. says “we have secrets we will take to our graves”. Trevor (Kermit) -- well -- is Trevor. Funny, talented, smart young man who is more or less another son. I kid around with him a lot but that is out of a genuine love and respect. He is far from a “stupid frog”. John Elliott and I had worked with before at Fresh-FM and when we needed a weather guy I was thrilled he was chosen. No one could have been better in his slot and no one in New York is as accurate. Louie-Louie our producer is the guy who drives the bus. He puts up with a lot, deals with 4 giant personalities every day and to be honest I don’t know why he didn’t walk out more than once. He will be running a communications company one day and I will be able to say I knew him when!!!!"

A New Jersey native, Nolan has been a traffic reporter on radio and television in the New York metropolitan area since 1979. He joined Metro Traffic Control when it opened in New York in 1988. He is also the stadium voice of the New York Jets and Rutgers football.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresno Radio: KBOS Adds Monisha Mann For Evenings

Monisha Mann iHeartMedia Fresno announced today that Monisha Mann has been named nighttime host for KBOS 95.5 FM B95, Fresno’s Hip Hop and Hits, effective immediately. Mann will broadcast weeknights 7 p.m. – midnight. Mann will build on B95 night show’s rich legacy of bringing the latest in new and upcoming music to the Central California listeners. “I am beyond excited and grateful for the opportunity to do nights in my hometown at B95,” said Mann. “I look forward to bringing new music to our listeners and I thank the team here in Fresno for believing in me to uphold the standards and ratings of this heritage station.” Mann, a Central California native, is a 15-year radio veteran who began her career as an intern at B95. She returned to the station from holding similar on-air positions in Bakersfield, CA. KBOS 95.5 FM (16.5 Kw) Red=Local Coverage Area “Mo is an engaging talent, a social media warrior, and a fierce competitor,” said Steve Weed, Senior Vice President of Programming for...

Twitter Creates 'Lite' Version

By David Ingram | SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) -- Twitter Inc (TWTR.N) is launching a faster version of its mobile service on Wednesday aimed at people with sporadic connections or little data on their smartphone plans, hoping to pick up users in harder-to-reach emerging markets. The company calls the version Twitter Lite and it will be aimed largely at users outside the United States. Twitter Lite works through a web browser, not a stand-alone phone application, but its appearance and functionality are nearly identical to what app users experience, according to a preview shown to Reuters. The launch comes on the heels of similar products from other U.S. tech firms. Facebook Inc (FB.O) released Facebook Lite in 2015 and on Tuesday, Alphabet Inc's (GOOGL.O) YouTube unveiled a low-data mobile app designed for India. San Francisco-based Twitter lags behind those companies in building a user base. It had 319 million average monthly active users at the end of last year, up 4 percent year-ove...

ESPN's Skipper Backs Sage Steele

Sage Steele In the two days since ESPN announced Sage Steele would be supplanted as host of NBA Countdown by Michelle Beadle, Steele has been subjected to a fair amount of ridicule on social media. Apparently, ESPN President John Skipper had seen enough and defended Steele in a statement to USA TODAY Sports on Thursday. "Sage has done a wonderful job for us in a number of important roles," Skipper said. “As previously announced, her SportsCenter presence has grown and this week alone she has led our coverage from the men’s Final Four and the Masters. Sage definitively has a bright and long-term future at ESPN and my complete support." Skipper and others at ESPN appear to be particularly irked by the fact that many  celebrated the move as a firing. While nobody at ESPN has publicly stated why the network made the decision so late in the NBA season to change hosts of NBA Countdown, Steele has appeared prominently on the network’s Masters coverage this week and also as the...